The History of the Caroline County Seal
The original Caroline County seal, discovered in the State Archives in Annapolis, was not strictly a coat of arms but a seal used on county legal documents by the Clerk of the Court.
in Denton from at least 1814 to 1856.The seal is oval in shape and features parts of the Calvert coat of arms assigned to George Calvert of Yorkshire, England, on November 30, 1622. George's son, Cecil, was granted the Charter to Maryland in June 1632, and the family coat of arms thus became closely associated with the Province of Maryland.
The "Land of Pleasant Living" was developed by the late Arthur Deute, who adopted Baltimore City in 1935 when he bought the National Brewing Company. Mr. Deute found Captain John Smith's description of his exploration of the Chesapeake Bay in 1608 most attractive. Some historians have indicated that Captain John Smith sailed up the great Choptank River as far as Choptank Towne, the southernmost point in Caroline County, in 1608.