Education, Board of
- 6 p.m.
- First Tuesday of each month
- Central Office
204 Franklin St.
- Meeting are open to the Public
|Mark Jones||Vice President||Appointed||2024|
|Dr. Derek Simmons||Superintendent||n/a||n/a|
The board is composed of three elected members (one from each district); two members appointed by the governor; and two nonvoting student members (one from each high school).
Term of Office
After 2014, each elected member serves for a term of four years beginning on the first Monday in December after election and until a successor is elected and qualifies. Students serve for one year. After 2018, each appointed member serves for a term of four years beginning on the first Monday in December.
Charge / Authority
(Maryland Code, EDUCATION ; DIVISION II. ELEMENTARY AND SECONDARY EDUCATION; TITLE 3. ESTABLISHMENT OF COUNTY BOARDS OF EDUCATION; SUBTITLE 3A. CAROLINE COUNTY)
Each county board shall seek in every way to promote the interests of the schools under its jurisdiction. Each county board shall:
- To the best of its ability carry out the applicable provisions of this article and the bylaws, rules, regulations, and policies of the State Board;
- Maintain throughout its county a reasonably uniform system of public schools that is designed to provide quality education and equal educational opportunity for all children;
- Subject to this article and to the applicable bylaws, rules, and regulations of the State Board, determine, with the advice of the county superintendent, the educational policies of the county school system; and
- Adopt, codify, and make available to the public bylaws, rules, and regulations not inconsistent with State law, for the conduct and management of the county public schools.